- Operate roller to compact earth, subgrade, and sub-base asphalt surfaces in the construction of highways and streets.
- Drive machine in successive overlapping passes over surfaces to be compacted, rolling asphalt and subgrade to desired compaction and smoothness.
- Determines speed and direction of machine based on knowledge of compressibility of material under changing temperatures.
- Distribute, break down, compress and give a finished surface to cooling asphalt.
- Coordinate machine actions with other activities, positioning and moving the machine in response to hand or audio signals from crew members.
- Communicate with paving crew on and foreman on job density requirements.
- Assist in setting up and taking down signs.
- Daily maintenance of fluids and water systems check.
- Monitors rolling temperature and works within temperature best suited for material being laid.
- Determine rolling drum mode.
- Have a thorough understanding of material thickness, type of material being laid, and material temperature for determining rolling range.
- Make frequency and amplitude adjustments depending on mix design, material thickness, temperature zone, and density.
- Optimize water systems controls to avoid material pickup and eliminate excessive water usage.
- Establish rolling pattern and determine paving width, roller drum width, drum overlap, and paver speed.
- Works with density technician to make sure density requirements are being achieved.
- Communicate with paving crew on any flaws in material or finished mat.
- Understand proper techniques for rolling transverse joints.
- Recognize flow lines and inverts.
- Try to minimize roller marks.
- Works with paving crew with hand rolling, wacker work, manholes and catch basins.
- Help trim edge lines and pickup excess asphalt material.
- Inspect area after job is completed.
- Understand different types of rollers and how they operate.
- Take action to avoid potential hazards or obstructions, such as utility lines, other equipment, other workers, or falling objects.
- Check fuel supplies at sites to ensure adequate availability.
- Keep machines clean and maintained.
- Monitor operations to ensure that health and safety standards are met.
- Keep records of material or equipment usage or problems encountered.
- Must have the initiative, ability, and willingness to perform and assist with other job positions for job completion as requested.
- The ideal candidate will have 2 or more years of Roller Operator experience.
- Must demonstrate the ability to operate the Roller Operator, must demonstrate excellent safety awareness, and a willingness to comply with company policy and safety standards.
- Communication with other operators, truck drivers and the general public is critical.
- Must have the ability to operate and maintain the Roller Operator Machine with little or no supervision.
- Must have reliable transportation and have the ability to travel. Periodic evenings, nights, weekends, and overtime hours are expected. Mayo Construction works in all parts of ND and surrounding states. Job sites move every 3-6 weeks and it is expected that employees provide their own housing accommodations. Many Mayo employees choose to stay near the site in camper trailers. All costs involved with housing are the responsibility of the employee.
- Must wear proper attire at all times including: safety vests, safety glasses when appropriate, long pants, hard sole/close-toed shoes, and reflect a clean and presentable image.
- Continuous mental and visual attention is necessary to safely and effectively complete work tasks.
- Project a positive and cooperative attitude by maintaining courteous and professional conduct with Supervisors, co-workers, customers, and the general public.
- Must be able to provide proper documentation that you have the legal right to work in the United States.
- This job requires the ability to lift, pull, and push a minimum of 50 lbs., bend, stoop, kneel, reach, squat twist, and climb heavy equipment several times throughout the day, and balance at heights up to 6 feet from ground level. In addition, you must have the ability to be on your feet regularly and use hands, arms, and legs repeatedly on the job. This includes frequently walking on sloped ground and slippery and uneven surfaces, as well as working in confined areas.
- This job requires the ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- This job requires the ability to see, whether naturally or with vision correction tools (glasses, contacts).
- This job requires the ability to perform essential job tasks in less than favorable job conditions. These may include, but are not limited to: Performing strenuous work in varying temperatures, humidity, sand, wind, or other extreme inclement weather conditions for extended periods of time.
- Work may be performed in an environment with exposure to extremely hot materials, fuel, fumes, vapors, dust, grease and oils, as well as loud and/or constant noise and exposure to moving equipment.
View other openings for Operators
Nothing in this job description creates, or is intended to create a promise or representation of continued employment and that employment at Mayo Construction is employment at will, which may be terminated at the will of either Mayo Construction or the employee at any time for any reason, except those protected by local, state and federal law. This job description is neither a contract of employment nor a legal document. Employment may be terminated with or without cause and with or without notice at any time by Mayo Construction or the employee.
Mayo Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race or color, religion or creed, ancestry or national origin, gender, gender identity, expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, genetic testing information, AIDS/HIV, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth, and other related conditions, lawful conduct outside of work, if receiving public assistance, if a member of a local commission, or amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non discrimination in employment. Mayo Construction complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Mayo Construction expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race or color, religion or creed, ancestry or national origin, gender, gender identity, expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, genetic testing information, AIDS/HIV, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth, and other related conditions, lawful conduct outside of work, if receiving public assistance, if a member of a local commission, or amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non discrimination in employment. Improper interference with the ability of Mayo Construction employees to perform their expected job may result in immediate termination.