- Assist in plant production of materials to ensure efficient working condition of the plant.
- Stockpile material and feed hot plant from the stockpiles in an efficient and productive manner as a back-up for loader operator.
- Ensure that all assigned equipment is properly maintained, clean, and in safe working order and is operating properly.
- Prepare plant for operations at the beginning of the season and perform shut down procedures at the end of the season. This includes traveling plants at different job site locations.
- Perform daily job site clean-up.
- Maintain all tools on a daily basis.
- Grease certain parts of plant as needed.
- Assist in scale checks.
- Assist in baghouse pre-heat and burner nozzle cleaning.
- During plant set-up, watch feed system drum and baghouse systems to ensure successful operation.
- Check mix for correct heat and color to place into silos.
- Assist external and internal customers that need assistance with loading out of silos.
- Perform daily maintenance as specified by Plant Operator.
- Perform end of shift duties as specified by Plant Operator.
- Operate heavy equipment as needed.
- Must have the initiative, ability, and willingness to perform and assist with other job positions for job completion as requested.
- The ideal candidate will have 2 or more years of Plant Secondman experience.
- This job requires high attention to detail, including the ability to perform basic math calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Comprehension of basis percentages is necessary in order to successfully calculate quantities of materials used to make asphalt.
- Knowledge of DOT, OSHA, EPA and CDL laws and procedures related to transportation.
- Must demonstrate excellent safety awareness, and a willingness to comply with company policies and safety standards.
- Must have reliable transportation and have the ability to travel. Periodic evenings, nights, weekends, and overtime hours are expected. Mayo Construction works in all parts of ND and surrounding states. Job sites move every 3-6 weeks and it is expected that employees provide their own housing accommodations. Many Mayo employees choose to stay near the site in camper trailers. All costs involved with housing are the responsibility of the employee.
- Must wear proper attire at all times including: safety vests, safety glasses when appropriate, long pants, hard sole/close-toed shoes, and reflect a clean and presentable image..
- Continuous mental and visual attention is necessary to safely and effectively complete work tasks.
- Project a positive and cooperative attitude by maintaining courteous and professional conduct with Supervisors, co-workers, customers, and the general public.
- Must be able to provide proper documentation that you have the legal right to work in the United States.
- This job requires the ability to lift, pull, and push a minimum of 50 lbs., bend, stoop, kneel, reach, squat twist, and climb heavy equipment several times throughout the day, and balance at heights up to 6 feet from ground level. In addition, you must have the ability to be on your feet regularly and use hands, arms, and legs repeatedly on the job. This includes frequently walking on sloped ground and slippery and uneven surfaces, as well as working in confined areas.
- This job requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- This job requires the ability to see, whether naturally or with vision correction tools (glasses, contacts).
- This job requires the ability to perform essential job tasks in less than favorable job conditions. These may include, but are not limited to: Performing strenuous work in varying temperatures, humidity, sand, wind, or other extreme inclement weather conditions for extended periods of time.
- Work may be performed in an environment with exposure to extremely hot materials, fuel, fumes, vapors, dust, grease and oils, as well as loud and/or constant noise and exposure to moving equipment.
View other openings for Operators
Nothing in this job description creates, or is intended to create a promise or representation of continued employment and that employment at Mayo Construction is employment at will, which may be terminated at the will of either Mayo Construction or the employee at any time for any reason, except those protected by local, state and federal law. This job description is neither a contract of employment nor a legal document. Employment may be terminated with or without cause and with or without notice at any time by Mayo Construction or the employee.
Mayo Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race or color, religion or creed, ancestry or national origin, gender, gender identity, expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, genetic testing information, AIDS/HIV, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth, and other related conditions, lawful conduct outside of work, if receiving public assistance, if a member of a local commission, or amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non discrimination in employment. Mayo Construction complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Mayo Construction expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race or color, religion or creed, ancestry or national origin, gender, gender identity, expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, genetic testing information, AIDS/HIV, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth, and other related conditions, lawful conduct outside of work, if receiving public assistance, if a member of a local commission, or amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non discrimination in employment. Improper interference with the ability of Mayo Construction employees to perform their expected job may result in immediate termination.